Friday, October 15, 2010

Wedded Bliss




***photos taken by Morgan Lynn of Morgan Lynn Photography.... blog.morganlynnphotography.com***

WOW!! It's been AGES since I've last blogged! .... I kinda miss it!
My goal for blogging was to speak on everything (well, a lot) of what I'd learned as being a newly married woman but I've been slacking!
I teach 2nd grade and since school has started I've been doing very little of EVERYthing except work, church related activities, and sleeping! ..... and, last but not least, tending to my husband! lol.
But...........
I'm back! And, glad to be able to get a few things that I've most recently learned out there in cyberspace for "the world" to see! lol.
***QUICK SHOUT OUT.... We'll be married 9mths TOMORROW!!!
WOOT - WOOT!!!!!***
Marriage Lesson #1:
Keep busy when tempted to fuss or act out in anger when your preferences aren't being met. (in whatever capacity they may be in). For example: You PREFER for your husband to take out the trash.... but, he hasn't and trash day was yesterday! My husband is s l o w (and very patient) and with me being the quicker paced (and less patient) spouse, it's hard for me to wait on him to do much of anything. The sad part is that unless one of us slows down (or speeds up) we will never walk in unison. So, in those moments when I'm waiting for him to "speed up" and I'm tempted to fuss and rush him - I choose to be productive and occupy my time. They are usually quick tasks that I can complete or get to a "stopping point" that help the time to by.
This tactic does a few things for me...
1. Refocus my mind on Ephesians 4: 22-24 and gives me an opportunity to pray about how I am to respond and treat my husband and pray to show grace in the moments when I'm not feeling so patient. The above verse speaks to submitting/coming up under/respecting my husband as if he was Christ. NOT that he is Christ, not that he acts like Him all the time... but AS IF. As if instead of me waiting on my husband, I am waiting on Christ....................... #POW. How would I wait for Christ? How would you?
2. By praying and refocusing on Christ, my entire mind and attitude changes. I'm no longer frustrated and causing contention in my own home by fussing but intentionally creating an atomosphere of peace. Proverbs 14:1 --> "Every wise woman builds her house, but a foolish one tears it down with her own hands"..... Proverbs 21:9 --> "Better to live on the corner of a roof than share a house with a nagging wife." As a wife, we are the heart of our homes!! Our home's "feel" depends on US! When our husbands enjoying time at home and want their friends to come over, etc., it has a lot to do with how we treat them! Make sure you are building your home and every aspect of it instead of tearing it down.. yourself. Let's not forget that the ability to build a lasting home that can weather all that life brings, depends on how solid the foundation is. How horrible is it to ruin something you have desired for so long, love so much, and really want to see succeed? It makes no sense. It's illogical and that's exactly what is happening when we choose to nag, fuss, and cuss instead of choosing to speak in a respectful tone and at the right time. Timing and tone are EVERYTHING.
3. When I am active & doing something (without mumbling, fussing, or being disrespectful in the process), I am being PRODUCTIVE! I am getting things done... from grading a few papers to folding laundry to loading the dishwasher or even (and, it's a big one) ............ ASKING MY HUSBAND IF THERE IS ANYTHING I COULD DO TO HELP HIM in anyway he needs me to. Afterall, I am his HELPmeet. :) Being productive helps everyone and it will allow you more time to spend resting with your husband (in peace) and just enjoying each other's company. Proverbs 31: 13 :".... she (the wife) works with willing hands".... Proverbs 31:27, 28 "She (the wife) watches over the activities of her household and is never idle. Her sons rise up and call her blessed and her husband also praises her."
The simple truth is this, the more (genuinely) respectful and uplifting we are to our husbands, the more loving they will be to us.
I believe as oblivious as our husbands can be at times, I know they notice when we are respectful and when we "talk them up" instead of constantly berating them. We can do so much to improve the state of our relationships, the question is this.... Are you willing to do what YOU can do, regardless of what your husband does, to improve your relationship and build up your home with the love of Christ?
There is a saying that I admittedly love very much... it says "Happy wife, happy life" but I choose to say "Better wife, better life".
LOVE. PEACE. MARRIAGE.

No comments:

Post a Comment